H. Albert Napier Rice Launch Challenge
Thank you for all of those who participated in the 2019 H. Albert Napier Rice Launch Challenge (NRLC) Startup Competition. Ten incredible, Rice affiliated teams – students and recent alumni - are competed for $60,000 and other prizes.
Rassul Zarinfar, founder of Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co. Buffalo Bayou Brewing Company, did an incredible job as our guest emcee and provided delicious refreshments. A big thank you to him and to our other sponsors.
- Barolac (Undergraduate Team): At Barolac, we are developing a medical device to provide early detection of feeding difficulties during the first critical weeks of life.
- Take a Breather (Undergraduate Team): For healthcare providers in global health settings who need to provide ventilation to multiple patients in respiratory distress and are dissatisfied with the current solution, our product is an add-on, assistive device to the current bag valve mask that automates the compression of the bag at an affordable price point.
- Card Stock Exchange (Undergraduate Team): Our centralized platform will allow people worldwide to connect, buy, and sell sports trading cards and memorabilia, as well as track their memorabilia portfolio, centralizing a fragmented industry and helping our customers “play their cards right.”
- CNX Medical (Alumni Team): CNX Medical’s product is a disposable non-invasive vagus nerve stimulator to prevent post-operative ileus that reduces hospital stay and avoids the need for a painful nasogastric tube.
- Ictero Medical (Alumni Team): Ictero Medical is building a minimally invasive ablation solution to treat gallstone disease without the need for general anesthesia.
- Work & Mother (Alumni Team): For businesses that are seeking to satisfy Fair Labor Standards Act requirements, recruit and retain top female talent, and are dissatisfied with in-office “solutions” such as wellness rooms, Work & Mother utilizes a shared space model to provide a fully equipped lactation facility with privacy, hospital-grade equipment, programming and a support network that helps keep mothers in the workforce.
- UrinControl (Graduate Team): Children with neurogenic bladders must choose between intermittent catheterization or a surgery with sub-optimal success rates, but UrinControl is a temporary urethral valve that provides children with a non-invasive comfortable alternative that gives them and their caregivers independence and control.
- WellWorth (Graduate Team): WellWorth is a Software-as-a-Service financial modeling & valuation platform for finance professionals in the upstream oil & gas space.
- Luber (Graduate Team): Luber removes the burden and hassle of preventative vehicle maintenance by connecting small business fleets and mechanics in one, innovative, online marketplace.
- LilySpec (Graduate Team): The LilySpec is a novel vaginal speculum that provides enhanced comfort through a unique, patient-centered design. Unlike current specula, the LilySpec accommodates women of all body types and is deployed with a gentle radial expansion mechanism, improving the patient experience.
2019 Judges Include:
Claire Shorall, Principal, NEO
Dan Watkins, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Mercury Fund
Gray Hancock, Founder & COO, Decisio
Samantha Lewis, Director, GOOSE Society
Brought to You by:
- Liu Idea Lab for Innovation & Entrepreneurship (Lilie)
- Rice Business
- Rice Entrepreneurs Organization
A special thank you to our sponsors:
- Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co
- David Leebron and Y Ping Sun
- OwlSpark, Rice University Startup Accelerator
- Jon R. Marinelli, Alum
- Rachel and Bruce Deskin, Alumni
- Hunington Properties
Interested in Sponsoring?
Are you looking to gain exposure to Houston’s newest and most promising startup ventures, as well as first-class entrepreneurial talent? Or are you looking to partner with potential long term clients? Contact Caitlin Bolanos at firstname.lastname@example.org to see how you can support this student experience and join us in the transformation of Houston’s innovation ecosystem.
Want to dip your toe into entrepreneurship and innovation ? Looking for a structured approach to prepare your own idea for launch?
Whatever it may be, the H. Albert Napier Rice Launch Challenge (NRLC) has you covered. A year-long stream of workshops such as design thinking, customer discovery, pitching, and pretotyping and prototyping.
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM
SAVE THE DATE: Join us for a lecture from David Schonthal, the senior portfolio director for IDEO. He will speak about creativity.
David Schonthal is a Clinical Associate Professor of Innovation & Entrepreneurship at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management, where he teaches courses in new venture creation, design thinking, innovation, and creativity. Outside of Kellogg, David is a Senior Portfolio Director and business designer at IDEO, an award-winning innovation consultancy, where he helps companies design new business models and creative paths for products and services to get to market. David has also developed initiatives such as the IDEO's Startup-in-Residence program, as well as other offers and approaches around venture design and corporate entrepreneurship. David also currently serves as an Operating Partner at Pritzker Group Venture Capital where he invests in consumer, enterprise and healthcare technology startups.
Prior to his time in Chicago, David spent nearly a decade in the venture capital and start-up world as a partner at Fusion Ventures and Director of Strategy and Venture Development for Tavistock Life Sciences, both based in San Diego, California. He has also held numerous senior operating roles at startups in both the technology and life sciences sectors.
David is a co-founder of MATTER, a 25,000-square-foot innovation center in downtown Chicago focused on catalyzing and supporting healthcare entrepreneurship, and serves as a member of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's technology, innovation and entrepreneurship council, ChicagoNext. He is a contributing writer to Forbes, Inc., and Fortune Magazines, authoring articles on corporate entrepreneurship, innovation, and business design. David has received several awards for his work, including a Kellogg Faculty Impact Award for excellence in teaching and his new venture creation course being named "Best Elective" course by Kellogg EMBA students. David has also been honored on Crain's Chicago Business Magazine's "40 Under 40" list and as part of the "Techweek 100."