H. Albert Napier Rice Launch Challenge
Thank you for all of those who participated in the 2019 H. Albert Napier Rice Launch Challenge (NRLC) Startup Competition. Ten incredible, Rice affiliated teams – students and recent alumni - are competed for $60,000 and other prizes.
Rassul Zarinfar, founder of Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co. Buffalo Bayou Brewing Company, did an incredible job as our guest emcee and provided delicious refreshments. A big thank you to him and to our other sponsors.
- Barolac (Undergraduate Team): At Barolac, we are developing a medical device to provide early detection of feeding difficulties during the first critical weeks of life.
- Take a Breather (Undergraduate Team): For healthcare providers in global health settings who need to provide ventilation to multiple patients in respiratory distress and are dissatisfied with the current solution, our product is an add-on, assistive device to the current bag valve mask that automates the compression of the bag at an affordable price point.
- Card Stock Exchange (Undergraduate Team): Our centralized platform will allow people worldwide to connect, buy, and sell sports trading cards and memorabilia, as well as track their memorabilia portfolio, centralizing a fragmented industry and helping our customers “play their cards right.”
- CNX Medical (Alumni Team): CNX Medical’s product is a disposable non-invasive vagus nerve stimulator to prevent post-operative ileus that reduces hospital stay and avoids the need for a painful nasogastric tube.
- Ictero Medical (Alumni Team): Ictero Medical is building a minimally invasive ablation solution to treat gallstone disease without the need for general anesthesia.
- Work & Mother (Alumni Team): For businesses that are seeking to satisfy Fair Labor Standards Act requirements, recruit and retain top female talent, and are dissatisfied with in-office “solutions” such as wellness rooms, Work & Mother utilizes a shared space model to provide a fully equipped lactation facility with privacy, hospital-grade equipment, programming and a support network that helps keep mothers in the workforce.
- UrinControl (Graduate Team): Children with neurogenic bladders must choose between intermittent catheterization or a surgery with sub-optimal success rates, but UrinControl is a temporary urethral valve that provides children with a non-invasive comfortable alternative that gives them and their caregivers independence and control.
- WellWorth (Graduate Team): WellWorth is a Software-as-a-Service financial modeling & valuation platform for finance professionals in the upstream oil & gas space.
- Luber (Graduate Team): Luber removes the burden and hassle of preventative vehicle maintenance by connecting small business fleets and mechanics in one, innovative, online marketplace.
- LilySpec (Graduate Team): The LilySpec is a novel vaginal speculum that provides enhanced comfort through a unique, patient-centered design. Unlike current specula, the LilySpec accommodates women of all body types and is deployed with a gentle radial expansion mechanism, improving the patient experience.
2019 Judges Include:
Claire Shorall, Principal, NEO
Dan Watkins, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Mercury Fund
Gray Hancock, Founder & COO, Decisio
Samantha Lewis, Director, GOOSE Society
Brought to You by:
- Liu Idea Lab for Innovation & Entrepreneurship (Lilie)
- Rice Business
- Rice Entrepreneurs Organization
A special thank you to our sponsors:
- Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co
- David Leebron and Y Ping Sun
- OwlSpark, Rice University Startup Accelerator
- Jon R. Marinelli, Alum
- Rachel and Bruce Deskin, Alumni
- Hunington Properties
Interested in Sponsoring?
Are you looking to gain exposure to Houston’s newest and most promising startup ventures, as well as first-class entrepreneurial talent? Or are you looking to partner with potential long term clients? Contact Caitlin Bolanos at firstname.lastname@example.org to see how you can support this student experience and join us in the transformation of Houston’s innovation ecosystem.
Want to dip your toe into entrepreneurship and innovation ? Looking for a structured approach to prepare your own idea for launch?
Whatever it may be, the H. Albert Napier Rice Launch Challenge (NRLC) has you covered. A year-long stream of workshops such as design thinking, customer discovery, pitching, and pretotyping and prototyping.