The Venture Lab with the Houston Angel Network (HAN) enables students the opportunity to work directly with start-up companies seeking funding and with HAN itself. The opportunity gives students the chance to apply the knowledge gained in the classroom to the real world funding process which all start-up companies face.
The program will also allow networking opportunities for students interested in working for a start-up or working with early-stage investors (VCs or Angels). Interns will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement before the HAN Internship begins.
Juliana Garaizar will advise Interns and direct their efforts and oversees their work with HAN. All HAN assignments will flow through her. Because of HAN’s close relationship with the Houston Technology Center (HTC), HAN Interns will also participate in some of the events, meetings, and other educational opportunities in which HTC interns participate. Topics covered in the past include: business plans, term sheets, Houston-based venture capitalists, and incubators.
- Conduct initial due diligence on companies that have approached HAN for investment
- Work with the companies which were selected to present to HAN members, in order to optimize the investor presentations
- Design and produce educational and networking events for our members
- Review performance of prior HAN investments
- One Intern will be invited to each HAN breakfast meeting to get direct exposure to the dynamics of the interaction between small companies and angel investors.
- Optimize effectiveness of HAN website
- Help develop strategy to attract new members, institutional members, and sponsors
- Help develop strategy to work with other organizations in the Houston entrepreneurial community (i.e. Tech Execs, MIT Enterprise Forum, Greater Houston Partnership, etc)
- Help develop strategy to attract more diverse and higher quality deals to HAN
- Help create outreach strategy to former HAN members and guests
- Benchmark HAN performance against other Angel groups in Texas and across the U.S.
- Determine key characteristics and best practices of successful Angel organizations
Note: Students are expected to attend all the entrepreneur presentations which occur monthly
Application: Apply through the E-Lab application site